Business Skills for Project Managers and Business Analysts
Negotiation Skills for Project Managers
Analyse your own and others’ negotiation styles and learn how to turn conflict into an advantage.
Negotiation is an invaluable skill for any project manager. Not only do you negotiate agreements with vendors and contractors, but also with stakeholders, customers and team members throughout the project life cycle. Highly interactive, this training course covers the dynamics, processes and techniques of internal and external negotiation. Learn how to analyse your own and the other party’s negotiation style, diffuse conflict and negotiate for effective cost and schedule performance. Experience one on one and team negotiations and receive coaching and feedback.
Is this course for me?
This course is for any professionals who regularly negotiate with internal or external clients. This course is also suitable to those who outsource work to subcontractors.
What will I learn?
- Use competitive and collaborative negotiation strategies with success
- Recover a stalled negotiation using breakthrough techniques to adjust your negotiating style to match the preferences of the other party
- Deactivate the impact emotions and focus on finding agreement
- Apply negotiation skills for efficient cost and schedule performance
- Plan strategies to effectively develop and manage collaborative relationships critical to your project
What is included in the price?
Pre-course assessment tools
Food and Refreshments
Post course reinforcement training
Online tools and templates
Does this course help me towards certification/accreditation?
Take this course is you aim to achieve any of the following certification:
What topics will be covered in the course?
- Negotiation in the Project Environment
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Negotiating with key stakeholders
- Negotiation and the triple constraint
- Issues throughout the project lifecycle
- Natural Tendencies in Negotiation
- Negotiating from positions
- Transformation of goals
- Destroying trust
- Need to win
- Emotional reaction
- Developing the Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement
- Defining BATNA
- Determining the need to negotiate
- Strengthening the BATNA
- Using BATNA
- The other party's BATNA
- The Two Major Schools of Negotiation: Competitive and Collaborative
- Competitive Negotiation
- Determining primary and secondary issues
- Establishing maximum and minimum positions
- Defining the conflict range
- Assessing the negotiation range
- Understanding and Developing Your Negotiation Style
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI) and communication style
- Personality preferences and style
- Temperament Theory and collaboration
- Collaborative Negotiation: Creating Win–Win by Exploring Differences
- Clarifying interests
- Developing options
- Establishing Criteria
- Negotiating Within the Team
- Identifying interests
- Defining the process
- Determining roles
- Negotiating Between Teams
- Establishing an approach
- Monitoring the dialogue
- Clarifying all interests
- Preparing to Negotiate Your Project
- Analysing your situation
- Predicting the other party's situation
- Dealing with Conflict in Negotiations
- Insights from MBTI®
- Sequence of strengths as conflict escalates
- Breakthrough Strategies to Get Past "No"
- Managing emotional content
- Reframing vs. reacting
- Building a golden bridge
- Educating vs. escalating
- Maintaining and Building Your New Skills
- Personal Action Plan
- Other useful strategies for long-term gains
Available as customised in-house training
Let us bring our classes to you! Our in-house training are ideal for groups of 10 or more people. We can provide Off-the-shelf training in the form of our classic courses, or we can provide bespoke training, tailored to your organisational goals and objectives. Find out more here.
Why choose us?
What sets us apart from many other training companies is that we guide you through your entire learning journey. We work together with you to assess your skills gap, map out your individual learning path and offer you the resources to then help you reinforce and adopt new tools and techniques learnt from your training and apply them to your daily work. Find out more.